Silicon supplements usually get their ingredients from organic sources such as bamboo, green vegetables and horsetail. These supplements are easiest for your body to absorb when you consume them in tablet, powdered or dried form. Silicon supplements are of great use for women as it is a required mineral to add suppleness to the skin as well as sheen to the hair. When taken as silicon dioxide or silica, these supplements do wonders at providing overall well-being and health for everyone.
Why do We Need Silica Supplements?
Because most foods we consume do not contain silicon, it needs to be supplemented in many cases. Some foods, such as strawberries, raisins, cucumbers and apples, do have some quantity of silica. It is important to note, however, that the form of silicon found in these foods is not easy for the body to absorb in order to help meet the daily requirements for this mineral. The mineral silicon must be replenished as the reserves of the human body experience depletion at a fast rate. Supplements are the best way to provide with the needed silica.
Benefits of Silica Supplements
Adding a silica supplement to your diet can help the body in a variety of ways, allowing you to see the benefits. These benefits can range from improving the health of your body internally to helping your appearance.
1. Improve Skin
People who want to make improvements on their appearance should consider silica supplements as this mineral helps support the collagen found in skin. By working with the collagen, silica can provide a more youthful and supple appearance while helping prevent the development of wrinkles.
2. Improve Joint Function
Taking silica supplements can also help improve joint function because it helps with strengthening the connective tissues that are found in the joints which in turn can also improve overall flexibility. Silica can even reduce swelling of your joints that are due to injury which in turn will allow them to heal more quickly.
3. Aid Digestive Function
Silica supplements are also able to aid with digestive function because this mineral helps maintain the tissues that are found along the body’s digestive tract. Using a silica supplement can decrease intestinal and stomach inflammation as well as help eliminate issues such as constipation, diarrhea and ulcers.
4. Improve Cardiovascular Health
Additionally, taking silica supplements can increase a person’s cardiovascular health. That is because silica is an essential mineral for helping keep blood vessel walls supple and strong. It may even help clear up plaques as well as prevent heart disease.
5. Inhibit Aluminum Absorption
A silica supplement can also help inhibit your body’s absorption of aluminum, meaning that it is able to help decrease the amount of aluminum buildup that is found in the brain’s tissues. This is important as many doctors consider aluminum buildup a risk factor that can lead to the development of Alzheimer’s meaning that adding silica to your diet may reduce your risk of developing this disease.
6. Improve Hair Condition
Silica does wonders at helping develop a lustrous and beautiful head of hair because it repairs the majority of the collagen and connective tissues found in the body and this will in turn improve your hair’s strength. If you add silica supplements to your well-balanced diet, you can see improvements in your hair in just a few months.
Side Effects and Precautions of Silica Supplements
When choosing a silica supplement, it is important to keep in mind that the FDA doesn’t regulate supplements which means you should always use caution and talk to your doctor before opting for a particular brand.
1. Side Effects
- Vitamin Deficiency. Some research has shown that long-term use of silica supplements can cause the loss of some of the other essential vitamins that our body needs. That is because these supplements contain thiaminase, an enzyme that destroys vitamin B1 (thiamine) in the body. This means that long-term use of these supplements may cause thiamine deficiency which in severe cases can lead to losing control of your muscles or even paralysis.
- Excessive Urination. Some medical teams have also linked the ingestion of silica supplements to excessive urination in some cases, although this is counteracted for people with edema. Because of this, it is recommended that you ensure you consume sufficient water to prevent dehydration and the effects associated with it. Because of the need for over-hydration while on silica supplements, you may also be at risk for low levels of potassium as this nutrient is flushed from the system.
- Kidney Function. Some medical teams have also expressed concerns that using silica supplements for a prolonged period of time may cause severe kidney trouble. People who take these supplements have reported kidney stones and medical professionals believe it may be because of a buildup of extra silica within the body as only small quantities are required for proper bodily functions. General kidney deterioration can also occur over time if there is excess silica in the body and this condition is irreversible.
2. Recommended Dosage
Most health professionals recommend that in order to get the optimal benefits from silica supplements that you opt for 55 mcg of the mineral each day. This number should be from a combination of dietary sources and supplements. Good foods to increase your consumption of in order to reach this recommended dosage include root vegetables, whole grains and water. Medical professionals estimate that the average adult currently ingests somewhere from 14 to 62 mcg of silica each day and they point out that one of the most common ingredients found in silica supplements is the herb horsetail which is rich in silica.