A hangnail is usually caused by dry skin, biting nails and peeling the nail bed skin. The chance of hangnails being infected is large, with the symptoms of redness, swelling and even pus. Try the followings to avoid or alleviate such symptoms.
- The best way to avoid infected hangnail is to prevent the hangnail. You can moisturize regularly and remember not to bite nails.
- If the hangnail has formed, wash it with soap and water, hydrogen peroxide is better.
- If the hangnail has been infected, dissolve salt into warm water and soak the infected hangnail in it, which acts as an antibacterial agent.
- You can also use antibacterial ointments like Neosporin to alleviate the infection.
- Seek medical help of your doctor if the infection doesn’t respond to remedies above or the condition is getting worse with the symptoms of loss of sensation and mobility problems.
Here is a video to tell you how to drain the infected hangnail.