There are many movie stars like Sofia Vergara or Scarlett Johansson that are renowned for their hourglass figure, which is making this body shape more popular amongst other women as well. Having a narrow waist is important for health reasons but increasing your hip size can help to achieve a more feminine look like these well-known beauty icons. If you would like wider hips, there are steps you can take to give yourself a more curvaceous figure.
How to Get Bigger Hips
1. Hip-Enhancing Exercises
Your hip muscles are made up of the gluteus minimus, medius and maximus as well as the tensor fascia latae. If you want to use exercise to make your hips look wider you will need to work on building these muscles by performing moves that incorporate hip abduction or extension.
It is recommended that those that want to widen their hips should perform exercises that work multiple parts of your body at the same time rather than focusing on just the muscles around your hips. You should train at least three non-consecutive days a week for around 4-5 weeks before you will start seeing serious results.
- Lunges Holding a pair of dumbbells in your hands take a large step forward with your left foot and bend your knees to lower yourself to the ground. Keep your back straight and push off with your feet to bring yourself back to your starting position then repeat the exercise with the right foot. Perform 10-12 reps for each leg.
- Squats Stand with your feet around shoulder width apart while holding dumbbells at your sides. Tighten your core and pull your back up straight and bend your knees to lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Return to your starting position and repeat the exercise 10-12 times.
- Yoga Several yoga poses can help to build muscle and increase your flexibility that can help your hips look wider. Performing yoga stretches like the pigeon, the frog, the cow face or the lizard can help you meet your goals and make other exercises in your routine easier to manage.
- Hip Abduction Attach an ankle strap to your right leg and select a low setting on your cable machine. Turn so your left shoulder faces the weight rack and lift the right foot while moving your leg laterally as far to the right as you can. Swing the leg across your body, performing 10-12 reps on each leg.
- Side Lying Leg Lifts Strap ankle weights to your lower legs and lie on your side with the legs stacked on top of each other and your hand on your hip. Lift the leg so it sits 45 degrees from the floor and slowly lower it back down to the ground. Repeat 10-12 times on each leg.
Exercises to Widen Your Hips:
2. Common Practices
- Have More Protein and Carbs. You should supplement your diet with foods that have a great deal of carbohydrates and protein, but avoid soda, chips and other junk foods. Carbs like breads or pasta will provide you with energy you can use to complete your exercise routine and proteins will help you build the muscle you need to make your hips look wider.
- Sit on Your Butt. If you want the hips to look bigger you can get this look simply by sitting on your buttocks or hips. This will allow fat to build up in this area of your body area at a faster rate.
- Try Hip-Enhancing Cream. Some creams on the market claim that they will replace elastin and collagen in your hips to encourage muscle generation in this area that can make your hips look wider.
- Pad Your Hips. You can purchase hip-enhancing briefs that include foam pads to make your hips look wider than they actually are. Adhesive silicone pads can also be tucked inside your undergarments, pantyhose or tights to give yourself a fuller look. However, bear in mind that you may need to purchase a larger pants size to accommodate these pads.
- Adjust Your Posture. Standing up straight with the shoulders dropped and your weight resting on one leg with the hip thrust out can create an S shape that can make you look curvier. Place the hands on your hips with your thumb facing forward or cross your legs when you are sitting to make your hips look wider.
- Swing the Hips. As you walk, make a point of swinging your hips to draw attention to this area. You can do this by relaxing the body, pulling your shoulders back and walking with one foot in front of the other. Try to allow the arms and hips to swing naturally without accentuating it too fully as this can begin to look comical.
If you are willing to take on plastic surgery to improve your figure there are several procedures designed to increase the curvaceous look of your hips. Some have liposuction performed on other parts of their body and transfer this excess fat to their hips. You can also perform a hip implant that inserts a “slice” of silicone under the skin near the hip to make this area look more curved.