Glycerin attracts moisture onto your skin which is why it is considered a humectant. It is a liquid that resembles Karo syrup as it is sweet-tasting, thick and colorless. You can find it in recipes both for making homemade soaps and for food items in the kitchen. Because it is water-soluble, it can occasionally be found along with alcohols in skin care products such as body lotions and moisturizers as well as other products like shampoos, conditioners and soaps.
Glycerin absorbs water from air, making it what is called hygroscopic. Because of this, it can bring water to your skin, making it a popular ingredient in skin and cosmetic products. In fact, glycerin is so absorptive that if you leave a pure bottle of it open, it would eventually absorb enough water to change its composition to only 80% glycerin with the other 20% being water.
As skin ages, it cannot retain moisture as well and this causes rough, dull skin that is prone to irritation and redness, but using glycerin regularly can prevent these problems associated with dryness. It also helps your face seem smoother by filling in the microscopic cracks in the dry skin.
A study in 2002 showed that a cream with 20% glycerin was able to successfully treat skin that was dry and eczematous without the irritation associated with traditional treatments.
Because of its dual ability to hydrate the skin and fill in gaps in dryer skin, glycerin is able to protect your face by keeping the outer layer of the skin intact. This layer is essential as it is the natural barrier protecting you from pollutants and disease-causing organisms.
1. Glycerin Anti-aging Face Peel
Glycerin is a common ingredient in anti-aging products such as face peels because it is able to help moisturize the skin. In addition, as we already know, it can fill in any small cracks on the skin’s surface, which makes it ideal for helping to prevent wrinkles.
Video: Anti-Aging Skin Care-Home Recipe for Glycerin Face Peels
2. Rosewater and Glycerin Toner
Benefits: Rosewater helps reduce skin inflammation and maintain your skin’s Ph, improving problems such as blemishes and acne. Glycerin helps moisturize the skin without making it oily like other methods. It does this by attracting water to the skin and then helping the skin hold in this moisture. When these two ingredients are combined, they work together to keep your skin nourished and balanced.
How to Make: You can either buy this toner or make it yourself. If you do, it is best to store it inside a spray bottle so you can easily spritz yourself whenever your skin seems dry. To make the toner take a fourth a cup of glycerin and one and a half cups rose water and mix them together in the spray bottle. Before using it on your face, test it on your wrist to make sure it won’t irritate your skin.
Benefits: This glycerin and lime juice moisturizer is a great way to moisturize skin in order to prevent damage from cold winter weather or other environmental conditions. A great thing about this moisturizer is that it is not restricted to your face; it can be used all over the body.
How to Make: To make this glycerin and lime juice moisturizer you will need a bottle of glycerin and two tablespoons fresh lime juice. To start pour your small bottle of glycerin into a bowl (this should be between 200 and 250 ml and can be either non-medicinal or medicinal). Now add your two tablespoons of the lime juice (remember fresh is better). Mix the ingredients together well and store the moisturizer in a glass bottle. You should use the moisturizer at night, applying it with either your fingers or cotton wool and then allow it to absorb before touching it.
4. Glycerin Body Mask/ Facial Mask
Do’s and Dont’s of Glycerin on Face
- When you use glycerin on your face, you should always use it with water to dilute it. Although filtered water is usually the best option, rose water (as mentioned above) is also an excellent choice.
- NEVER OVERDO IT. When using glycerin, it is important not to overdo it. That is because the longer you leave it on your face, the more hydrated the skin will become. This means that if you leave it on for too long, it will start to look like you’ve spent several hours in the water.
- When you first apply glycerin, your skin my feel as if there is excess moisture there. However, this will evaporate and afterwards, your skin will feel perfectly hydrated – not too much and not too little.
- Glycerin will feel a bit sticky on your skin so you should avoid using it with lotions that are already sticky. Because of the stickiness associated with glycerin, you should always be careful to wash away any excess before you go outside as the stickiness makes it much easier for dust and pollution to collect.